Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hodakaguy M38 - Pics and Misc Thread.

Continued from above...

Making a custom bent 1/4" wrench for the rear brake bleeders.

Continued below...

Continued from above...

Front and rear axles were drained and re-filled with fresh fluids. I'll be draining and re-filling the transfer case and transmission with GL4 soon.

Hover Jeep lol. Pic was taken before the rear jack stands were installed....I'm not going under without 4 jack stands!

Filling the front knuckles. I'm using JD Cornhead grease, this grease is between a grease and an oil...It's thick enough that it doesn't leak out like 80w-90 and thin enough it properly lubricates and circulates unlike regular grease that just sticks to the inside of the knuckle housing.

I heated the grease up with a heat gun a bit and poured it into a oil syringe, the syringe worked great for squirting the grease into the knuckle.

Continued below....

Continued from above...

Continued below....

Continued from above...

As you fill the knuckle turn the hubs over by hand as you fill. This will get the grease all the way around inside the housing and allow you to completely fill the knuckle to the bottom edge of the threads.

More to come.....

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy,

Outstanding M38, and an awesome road trip to boot! Being that your rig received a first place award from the MVPA, (think Bloomington Gold for Corvettes) that says a lot about the restoration. It had to be top of the charts to get that kind of award.
    Larrbeard will be a long shortly, and he can give you some ideas about the radio set.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 05-05-2024 at 02:42 AM.

Some great pictures in there. I like the wrench, I have a few of those! A good shot of what the correct consistency knuckle and steering box lube looks like. A good shot of "Corn Head Grease". That Jeep will bring smiles for centuries to come.

The radio is out of site man! Like gm said, cant wait for LarrBeard's take on that.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Hodakaguy,

Outstanding M38, and an awesome road trip to boot! Being that your rig received a first place award from the MVPA, (think Bloomington Gold for Corvettes) that says a lot about the restoration. It had to be top of the charts to get that kind of award.
    Larrbeard will be a long shortly, and he can give you some ideas about the radio set.
    He really did a great job, when we purchased it most of the military bits was missing. His son said he enjoyed the hunt of finding all the correct parts. Looking forward to learning more about the radio.

Thanks

Hodakaguy

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Some great pictures in there. I like the wrench, I have a few of those! A good shot of what the correct consistency knuckle and steering box lube looks like. A good shot of "Corn Head Grease". That Jeep will bring smiles for centuries to come.

The radio is out of site man! Like gm said, cant wait for LarrBeard's take on that.
    I have several "Custom" wrenches like that as well. Soooo handy when you need them!

Hodakaguy

Getting a bit more progress in.

Up early and changing out the oil pressure sending unit. The unit was acting weird during the short time we were driving the Jeep, the gauge would randomly quit then show pressure when the engine was off after the key was cycled. It's a good thing I have Go Go Gadget Arms as removing the sending unit is an exercise in dexterity. The new unit was just slightly smaller in diameter so I added a thin piece of neoprene rubber between the sender and bracket for a secure fit.

Continued Below...

Continued from above...

Drained and re-filled the transmission & transfer case with Redline MT-90. I've found in my older vehicles that MT-90 works great and usually improves shifting. The oil is GL4 and safe for yellow metals. The old oil was nice and clean.

Time to change engine oil. I drained the oil through a clean cloth to see if there were any bits or pieces that shouldn't be there, nothing was caught on the cloth. The oil was defiantly dark and ready to be changed. We ran a magnet through the oil to see if there were any metal fines present...nope, nice and clean. I'll clean the oil filter assy and air cleaner soon.

Continued Below...